Bone Marrow Biopsy & Aspiration
In a bone marrow aspiration procedure, a small portion of fluid is withdrawn from the marrow using a Jamshidi aspiration needle. In a biopsy procedure, a small section of the solid marrow is extracted for medical examination purposes. The step-by-step directions provide a guided approach to the program, assisted with regular feedback on performance.
- Locating and cleaning the insertion site
- Numbing the insertion site
- Making an insertion and collecting aspirate
- Drawing aspirate using a Jamshidi needle and stylet
- Wiegand, D. L. (2017). AACN procedure manual for high acuity, progressive, and critical care (7th ed.). St: Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- The New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM), Bone Marrow Aspiration and Biopsy by Suman Malempati, M.D., Sarita Joshi, M.D., Susanna Lai, M.P.H., Dana A.V. Braner, M.D., and Ken Tegtmeyer, M.D.
Customize Your Program
Get rid of the editor. Adopt in-VR customization.
MedVR Education is bringing to you in-VR customization that will enable you to customize your procedural simulations by making selections from a range of feature choices.
- Select patient from a diverse background
- Choose preferred virtual environment
- Select equipment used in the procedure
- Modify difficulty level of the assessment mode
- …..many more to come
- Physics-based Interaction
Core Skills Training
Bone Marrow Aspiration
In a bone marrow aspiration procedure, a small portion of fluid is withdrawn from the marrow using a Jamshidi aspiration needle. The procedure involves locating and cleaning the insertion site, numbing the site, making an insertion, and collecting the aspirate. As part of this VR simulation program, participants are provided with adequate affordances to perform every task in the procedure with ease and efficiency. The program has been designed to encourage learners to complete every step of the process in order to get thoroughly acquainted and experienced. Meaningful feedback is provided at regular intervals.
Bone Marrow Biopsy
In a bone marrow biopsy procedure, a small section of the solid marrow is extracted for medical examination purposes. This aspirate is withdrawn using a Jamshidi needle and stylet. This VR simulation program is designed to enable participants to practice the process of inserting the needle in to the insertion site and collecting the sample using a stylet. Affordances are provided to assist in skilled and efficient execution of tasks. Each learner is encouraged to perform every step of the procedure to enable thorough learning and practice. Relevant and apt feedback are provided at regular intervals.
With prompts, guidance and affordances learners are hand-held through the process to practice the procedure in a virtual environment with a virtual patient.
- Photorealistic Virtual Environment
- Physics-based Interactions
- Learn by Doing
- Visual Affordances
Test skills to perform the procedures from start to finish without prompts. An incorrect step will take the learner back to the start to start afresh.
- Live Scoring
- Instant Feedback
- Unlimited Practice Sessions
- LMS Integration