Chest Tube Insertion
Juan is a 48-year-old male who suffers shortness of breath and right-sided chest pain on inspiration. An x-ray was ordered that showed a right pneumothorax. The patient will need a chest tube insertion. As the patient’s healthcare provider, your tasks are to educate the patient on the risks of having a chest tube inserted and then to insert the chest tube using aseptic technique.
In this multiplayer VR simulation, users practice the chest tube insertion procedure in realistic environments. It contains both training and assessment modes to help learners not only practice but also assess their skills.
- Explaining the procedure to a virtual patient.
- Gathering the required material for the procedure.
- Setting up a sterile field.
- Performing the chest tube insertion procedure.
- Suturing the wound.
- Applying the dressing.
- Connecting the chest to drainage and suction.
- Lippincott Nursing Procedures. 8th edition. 2019. Pages 747 – 759
- https://merckmanuals.com/professional/pulmonary-disorders/how-to-do-pulmonary-procedures/how-to-do-tube-and-catheter-thoracostomy. Merck Manual. How To Do Tube and Catheter Thoracostomy. Rebecca Dezube, Johns Hopkins University. 07/2022.
- https://www.uptodate.com /contents/thoracostomy-tubes-and-catheters-placement-techniques-and-complications Thoracostomy tubes and catheters: Placement techniques and complications. John T Huggins, MD, Shamus R Carr, MD, FACS, George A Woodward, MD. 01/2023.
Customize Your Program
Get rid of the editor. Adopt in-VR customization.
MedVR Education is bringing to you in-VR customization that will enable you to customize your procedural simulations by making selections from a range of feature choices.
- Select patient from a diverse background
- Choose preferred virtual environment
- Select equipment used in the procedure
- Modify difficulty level of the assessment mode
- …..many more to come
- Physics-based Interaction
Core Skills Training
This module is all about preparing for the procedure. As healthcare practitioners, learners need to educate the patient about the procedure, including the risks involved. They will get a consent from the patient and prepare for the insertion. As part of this module, learners will gather the material required for the procedure, practice gowning and gloving and set up a sterile field. All necessary affordances are made available in the virtual environment to help learners complete tasks effectively.
Chest Tube Insertion
In the Chest Tube Insertion module, learners are required to identify the insertion location, anesthetize the skin, make an incision, dilate the wound, and insert the tube. Having inserted the tube, learners need to suture the wound to keep it in place. The next steps include dressing the wound and connecting the tube to the drainage system. An x-ray will be ordered to check for correct placement of the tube. The photorealistic virtual environment and physics-based interactions create a close-to-reality scenario.
With prompts, guidance and affordances learners are hand-held through the process to practice the procedure in a virtual environment with a virtual patient.
- Photorealistic virtual environment
- Physics-based interactions
- Detailed instructions
- Adequate affordances to assist in task completion
Test acquired skills to perform the procedures from start to finish without prompts. An incorrect step will take the learner back to the start to start afresh.
- Live scoring
- Instant feedback
- Adequate affordances for efficient performance
- Time tracking to monitor activity completion