CLABSI or Central line associated bloodstream infection is a serious infection causing thousands of deaths every year. It is caused by germs (bacteria and viruses) entering the bloodstream through a central line.
CLABSI, however, is completely preventable if strict protocol is adhered to. CDC lists down detailed preventive measures that healthcare professionals can follow at every step of an insertion procedure to maintain a CLABSI-free insertion. This multiuser VR simulation training consists of both training and assessment sessions. Activities included are related to performing hand hygiene, using sterile barriers, and practicing cap and dressing changes.
- Performing sterile cap change
- Communicating with the patient and family
- Maintaining sterile field
- Removing old dressing and skin-prep
- Performing sterile dressing change
- Using Povidone-Iodine for dressing
- Developed in partnership with Texas Children’s Hospital.
Customize Your Program
Get rid of the editor. Adopt in-VR customization.
MedVR Education is bringing to you in-VR customization that will enable you to customize your procedural simulations by making selections from a range of feature choices.
- Select patient from a diverse background
- Choose preferred virtual environment
- Select equipment used in the procedure
- Modify difficulty level of the assessment mode
- …..many more to come
- Natural Language Processing
- Physics-Based Interaction
Core Skills Training
Keeping the insertion site clean is very important to avoid cases of CLABSI. This includes procedures like performing hand hygiene and maintaining of sterile fields during care procedures. When performing a cap change, adequate steps like use of gloves and proper utilization of the change kit must be undertaken. As part of this Cap Changing module, learners are provided with all affordances to perform the procedure efficiently. Regular guidance is provided in the training session to complete tasks in a routine manner while following proper hygiene protocol. The assessment session helps test one’s knowledge and skills.
Central line insertions call for regular dressing changes which must be performed in absolutely zero-infection environments. This module on Dressing Changing provides learners practice in inspecting old dressing, unpacking the dressing change kit, maintain a sterile field, and changing the dressing following standard procedure. Step-by-step instructions in the training mode provide practice and encouragement in performing all the steps in the appropriate method. The assessment session helps learners test their skills and knowledge in the procedure.
With prompts, guidance and affordances learners are hand-held through the process to practice the procedure in a virtual environment with a virtual patient.
- Photorealistic virtual environment
- Physics-based interactions
- Detailed instructions
- Adequate affordances to assist in task completion
Test acquired skills to perform the procedures from start to finish without prompts. An incorrect step will take the learner back to the start to start afresh.
- Live scoring
- Instant feedback
- Adequate affordances for efficient performance
- Time tracking to monitor activity completion