CVC Insertion in VR
Jacob is a 52-year-old male patient. He is admitted for an infection and has antibiotics ordered. IV access has been tried numerous times without successful placement. The attending physician has written an order for central venous catheter placement. The central line has to be placed in the internal jugular vein using the ultrasound guided method.
Learners will be practicing this central venous catheter insertion in a virtual environment to perform steps starting from preparing a sterile field to completing the insertion procedure.
This multiplayer VR session is designed to provide learners with the training and practice required to carry out the procedure with efficiency and confidence.
- Prepare patient and check equipment
- Demonstrate correct steps when starting a central line
- Identify common complications when starting a central line
- Demonstrate correct steps towards performing a central line insertion
- Developed under the guidance of MedVR Education advisory team.
- Standard 26. Vascular access device (VAD) planning. Infusion therapy standards of practice. (2016). Journal of Infusion Nursing, 39, S51–S54. (Level
- Infusion Nurses Society. (2017). Policies and procedures for infusion therapy of the older adult (3rd ed.). Boston, MA: Infusion Nurses Society.
Core Skills Training
In this first lesson, learners are required to practice preparing for a central line insertion procedure. This involves preparing the sterile field, ensuring all required supplies are in place, and preparing the patient for the procedure. Necessary affordances are made available to the learners for a hiccup-free ride through the lesson. Ensuring thorough preparation will help perform the procedure with efficiency.
In this lesson learners practice the insertion procedure which involves tasks like inserting the introducer needle, the guide wire, threading the catheter over the guide wire, and applying dressing after the insertion. The task will end with the learner ordering an x-ray to confirm catheter placement. With all necessary affordances made available, learners get to practice in realistic scenarios for true-to-life experiences.
With prompts, guidance, and affordances learners are hand-held through the process to practice the procedure in a virtual environment with a virtual patient.
- Photorealistic Virtual Environment
- Physics-based Interactions
- Learn by Doing
- Visual Affordances
Test skills to perform the procedures from start to finish without prompts. An incorrect step will take the learner back to the start to start afresh.
- Live Scoring
- Instant Feedback
- Unlimited Practice Sessions
- LMS Integration