Nebulizer Medication Administration
Sixty-six year old Ethan More is having trouble breathing. An examination reveals wheezing in both lungs. Ethan needs to be administered nebulizer medication of a bronchodilator that will open his lung passages and make it easier for him to breathe.
This VR simulation for Nebulizer Medication Administration is designed to help healthcare practitioners practice the procedure of administering nebulized medication. Learners can practice the procedure in a safe and controlled virtual environment. With both training and assessment modes, learners can perform the procedure and assess themselves on their performance.
- Demonstrate standard technique of assessing respiratory function
- Apply clinically approved method of setting up nebulizer
- Demonstrate proper technique of applying nebulizer mask to patient’s face
- Educate the patient on proper aftercare instructions
Kacmarek, R. M., et al. (2017). Egan’s fundamentals of respiratory care (11th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
- Gregory, K. L., et al. (2013). “Guide to aerosol delivery devices for physicians, nurses, pharmacists, and other health care professionals” [Online]. Accessed via the Web at http://www.aarc.org/wpcontent/uploads/2014/08/aerosol_guide_pro.pdf (Level VII)
Customize Your Program
Get rid of the editor. Adopt in-VR customization.
MedVR Education is bringing to you in-VR customization that will enable you to customize your procedural simulations by making selections from a range of feature choices.
- Select patient from a diverse background
- Choose preferred virtual environment
- Select equipment used in the procedure
- Modify difficulty level of the assessment mode
- …..many more to come
- Physics-based Interactions
Core Skills Training
Administering Nebulizer Medication
As part of this module for administering nebulizer medication the learner will begin the procedure by confirming the identity of the patient. The learner will also ask the patient of any known allergies and educate the patient on the possible side effects of the bronchodilator medication. The learner will go on to gather equipment, set up the nebulizer and administer it to the patient. As part of the process, the learner is also required to document pre-treatment assessment details.
All necessary affordances are provided to complete the procedure with efficiency.
Reassessing Patient’s Lung Sounds
In this module on reassessing the patient’s lung sounds, the learner is required to remove the nebulizer mask from the patient’s face using clinically approved steps. The learner will conduct an examination of both lungs once again to check if the sounds are back to normal or not. When the assessment is complete the learner will document the post-medication details.
The patient will have to be educated about the medication timing and asked to call for help if they feel short of breath.
With prompts, guidance and affordances learners are hand-held through the process to practice the procedure in a virtual environment with a virtual patient.
- Photorealistic virtual environment
- Physics-based interactions
- Detailed instructions
- Adequate affordances to assist in task completion
Test acquired skills to perform the procedures from start to finish without prompts. An incorrect step will take the learner back to the start to start afresh.
- Live scoring
- Instant feedback
- Adequate affordances for efficient performance
- Time tracking to monitor activity completion