Skin Adhesive Placement
Robert Garcia is a 57-year old male who has suffered a laceration on his forehead. He is waiting for a skin adhesive placement procedure. As a healthcare practitioner your job is to educate him on the procedure and perform the adhesive placement following approved clinical standards.
In this multiplayer VR simulation, users practice the skin adhesive placement procedure in realistic environments. It contains both training and assessment modes to help learners not only practice but also assess their skills.
- Set up sterile field observing appropriate sterile technique.
- Cleanse wound employing proper cleansing procedure.
- Apply skin adhesive following approved clinical standards.
- Educate patient on post-procedure care and instructions.
- How To Repair a Laceration With Glue, By Matthew J. Streitz , MD, San Antonio Uniformed Services Health Education Consortium, https://www.merckmanuals.com/ professional/injuries-poisoning/how-to-care-for-wounds-and-lacerations/how-to-repair-a-laceration-with-glue
- Using Tissue Adhesive for Wound Repair: A Practical Guide to Dermabond, THOMAS B. BRUNS, M.D., AND J. MACK WORTHINGTON, M.D. https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/ issues/2000/0301/p1383.html
Customize Your Program
Get rid of the editor. Adopt in-VR customization.
MedVR Education is bringing to you in-VR customization that will enable you to customize your procedural simulations by making selections from a range of feature choices.
- Select patient from a diverse background
- Choose preferred virtual environment
- Select equipment used in the procedure
- Modify difficulty level of the assessment mode
- …..many more to come
- Physics-based Interaction
Core Skills Training
The learners will begin the module with confirming the identity of the patient, asking him for this consent, and educating him on the risks involved. An assessment of the wound needs to be performed and determined that bleeding has stopped. This will be followed by cleaning and drying the wound before applying the skin adhesive. Having applied the adhesive, the used packaging needs to be discarded and hand hygiene performed. The learners will then educate the patient on post-procedure care and precautions.
With prompts, guidance and affordances learners are hand-held through the process to practice the procedure in a virtual environment with a virtual patient.
- Photorealistic virtual environment
- Physics-based interactions
- Detailed instructions
- Adequate affordances to assist in task completion
Test acquired skills to perform the procedures from start to finish without prompts. An incorrect step will take the learner back to the start to start afresh.
- Live scoring
- Instant feedback
- Adequate affordances for efficient performance
- Time tracking to monitor activity completion